Wednesday, July 22, 2009

SUPPORT your meatloaf

As you all know by now, I am taking this cooking thing very seriously. I want to be successful at it. I have the ability to be. But, as you may also know, we cannot always do EVERYTHING on our own. We need help. More importantly, we need SUPPORT. Sometimes we go to friends and family with an idea or plan of action, and instead of them asking positive questions, they immediately point out what is WRONG, or what needs fixing. So, you tuck your tail between your legs and swear under your breath to never again let them steal your joy. But, sure enough, the next time that little fire of excitement burns inside of you, you go running to mommy, daddy, sister, brother, friend. I say this all to say that we need to SUPPORT each other. Encourage each other. Uplift each other. Every idea isn't a winning one. Every decision we make will not grant us the things of our dreams. But, I should be able to come to you and know that you will have my back. A few months ago, I was making meatloaf, which I had made before. I knew all the steps I had to take, and all the ingredients I needed to make it delicious. So, I take everything out and get to it. When I got to the part where I was to add the breadcrumbs (the meatloaf's SUPPORT), I got lazy. I knew the meatloaf needed all the SUPPORT it could get, but why should it get that from me? Why should I take the extra time to sprinkle more crumbs, which would cause me to have to knead more? Think about this. When was the last time someone came to you with their dreams, and instead of adding more crumbs of support (i.e. asking questions, showing interest), you say " oh, but x, y, and z is wrong. it won't work"? Anyway, so, I was lazy. I used the minimum amount of crumbs, and put my meatloaf in the oven. Thirty minutes later, after doing whatever it was that I was doing that was NOT more important than SUPPORTing my meatloaf, I went to the oven to view what I expected to be my masterpiece. (How could I have expected a masterpiece when I didn't SUPPORT my meatloaf?). WELL, what I found in the oven was a meatloaf with a big, gaping hole in the middle of it. I was angry. I cried. I wanted to throw it in the garbage. But, I didn't. I took it out and cut around the sides and continued baking the pieces that looked like something edible. I basted it, and checked on it. And guess what? By the time it reached the plate, it was delicious. Do you get where I am going with this? yes? no? Good. You will. Even if you don't right now. I love you. And remember, SUPPORT your meatloaf!

SUPPORT your MEATLOAF RECIPE

Ingredients:
1 pound of fresh ground beef (if it looks brownish, its not fresh)
1-2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs
Salt (to taste)
Ground black pepper (fresh, if possible)
Adobo all purpose seasoning
Paprika
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Sazon
1 clove of chopped garlic
1/2 a small onion chopped
1 cup of rough chopped chive
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of Jack Daniels bbq sauce (Quincy's favorite)
Heinz Worchester Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray a Pyrex baking pan with PAM (my best friend)
In a large bowl mix ingredients into the ground beef. I like to add a good amount of worchester sauce, as it makes meats more juicy.
Sprinkle in break crumbs as you mix and knead. Don't add too much so as to overwhelm the taste of the meat, but don't be cheap!
Once you have a good consistency (not too wet or too dry), start molding the beef into a loaf. You can also just bake it in a loaf pan, but that just makes it more annoying to cut.
In a small bowl, add honey, ketchup, cayenne pepper, and bbq sauce.
Once you have a nice shape, use a brush to paint on the sauce mixture. Reserve the rest. Cover, and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove cover and paint/ drizzle again. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes until done. Remove from oven, cover and let it rest. Did you hear me? LET IT REST!
Resting your meat stops the cooking process and allows for the juices to re-disperse throughout the meat, making it juicy!
After the loaf has rested for at least 15 minutes, slice and brush on more sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie of your choice. (Lord forbid I forget to make a veggie. Quincy will have a heart attack. Many a veggie has been slapped together in my haste and annoyance).....
Light some candles, put on Nina Simone (Tania), or Mavado (KB)..whatever floats your boat, and enjoy!

1 comment: