Thursday, March 18, 2010

Our Deepest Fear- Honey BBQ wings and Loaded Mashed Potatoes


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”- Marianne Williamson

My deepest fear is failure. I am afraid that I will wake up thirty years from now and regret half of what I did, and all of what I didn't do. I'm afraid that I won't be able to use my passion for cooking to do more than entertain for my friends. I'm afraid that maybe I'm really supposed to be pursuing a career in Forensics and that this cooking thing is just a phase. I am afraid that while I have prayed on this, maybe I missed the sign God was showing me that meant I needed to make a left instead of a sharp right. I'm afraid to dissapoint myself, my family, and my friends. I am afraid of not trying. I'm afraid of trying too. A little over two weeks ago, I decided that I wasn't living. I wasn't letting my light shine to its full potentional. I went to work every day and went through the motions. I smiled when it was expected of me and did my best to keep my work up to par. But inside, I was miserable. I was depressed, angry, stressed, and frustrated. I knew that I had been letting my fear keep me tied to a place I no longer wanted to be. I knew that by staying in that position, I would continue to hold myself back from so many blessings. So, I resigned. I tell ya, it was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in my adult life. But, I knew it was the right one. The fear lifted like a heavy cloud. I saw opportunity, and success in my future. I saw a way to take my dreams out of my heart, and make them a reality. I am aware of my worth; Of my ability; Of my strength. I will be okay. No, I AM OKAY (minus last Friday when I cried so much that the headache lasted until Sunday. I wasn't okay then). I ask that you release the fear, anxiety, and mistrust in your own life. Do what your heart says is right or you will be waiting forever for the right time to buy that house, have a baby, fall in love, or walk away from someone who doesn't deserve you. Know your worth. On Sunday, my bff's and I were supposed to do brunch. It was pouring outside, but I was happy and excited to see them. By the time we sat down to eat, it was just Kerri and I. Like it used to be. We talked about everthing, laughed constantly, and got back to that special bff place. She demanded that I cook. In fact, she began writing down a list of what she wanted me to make and barked out orders (in a loving way of course). So we got started! Actually, I saw her dangerously cut a potatoe and quickly suggested that maybe she should sit and offer moral support while I did the manual labor. Below is the recipe Kerri came up with. I simply put it together. This one's all for you, Kerri Dana!
LYMI,
V

Most Delicious Honey BBQ Wings:
Ingredients:
1lb bag of frozen wing pieces
Vegetable Oil for frying
Flour
1 onion
Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Paprika
Poultry Seasoning
West Indian Green Seasoning
Worchester Sauce
Heinz Thick and Spicy BBQ Sauce
3/4 cup of honey
A1 Steak Sauce

Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients:
8 large Idaho potatoes washed and cut into small pieces for boiling (skin on)
1-2 cups of grated cheddar and jack cheese
4 slices of bacon (I baked mine in the oven instead of frying)
Steamed Broccoli ( steamed and chopped roughly)
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
1 cup of milk
2 tbls of butter
Sour Cream

Wings Recipe: (wings can be seasoned before hand and kept in fridge or freezer)
Soak wings in room temperature water with 1/2 cup of vinegar. Let soak for at least 30 minutes
Rinse wings in cold water and use a knife to pick off any extra fat or feathers. Rinse again.
Season with spices and Worchester sauce. Let marinate for at least 1/2 an hour
In a plate spread flour and season with a little black pepper and paprika. Mix in well
Coat wings in flour, then fry for 5 minutes on each side. Set aside on paper towel to drain. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Once wings are fried and drained, mix 1 cup Heinz Thick and Spicy bbq sauce in a bowl with 1/2 cup of honey, and 3 tbls of A1 Steak Sauce. Mix well. Place wings on a roasting rack (if they sit in a pan, they will get soggy instead of crispy).
Using a bbq brush, brush sauce over wings until they are completey coated. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from rack and plate (resist eating! I know it will be hard, but we have potatoes to make)

Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
Once potatoes are cooked and drain, place them back into pot.
Add in milk, butter, sour cream, and broccoli. Add seasoning and mash well.
Once potatoes are mashed to your liking, plate with wings and serve!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment