Thursday, January 28, 2010

All my hopes and dreams... Pot Roast and Cheesy Mashed potatoes

I've always thought that things work out best in life for the good people. The girls who kiss, but won't let him touch. The boys who play sports instead of standing on the corner. The men who take care of their responsibilities. But, as I've found myself (a good person) almost always getting the short end of the stick; I realize that being good is mostly bullshit. You can go to the right schools, get the right degree, graduate and find yourself without a job. You can be patient in your career, work your ASS off, and still get looked over for a promotion or raise. So what then, is the point of hopes and dreams. What really ever goes the way we plan it? I thought I would be married by now with a great career and a closet filled to the brim with Italian stilettos. Instead, I find myself husbandless, settling, and digging under the bed to reach my J.Crew pumps (which, by the way, are made in Italy- so maybe something worked out). Sigh. Not this quarter life shit again. WTF. I had lunch with an old friend today and we talked about how differently things turned out for both of us. He is feeling defeated, angry, frustrated, and tired as well. But, he did not give up his hope or his dreams yet. He said "Vannell, circumstances and situations do not define you, and you must not let them confine you". Hmph! Sounds like something I would have said a year and two dreams ago.....Sigh (again). Let's get to the food, shall we? Pot roast is not an easy thing to make (ok, maybe it is, but just go along with the story). It takes time, patience, understanding, and most of all.....LOVE. Sigh (third time) Why can't I apply these principles to my life? Why do I understand carrots but not career? Meat but not me? Sigh (x4). Moving right along...pot roast is muy delicioso and mi novia te gusta mucho! He thinks its the best thing I make and he even gave me a twitter shout out for it :) Sigh (x5, but this was a good one so it doesn't really count). Here's to still believing in hopes and dreams even when I think its a load of crap. How about believing that what is meant for me will be for me? Yes, I think I like that better. Sigh (x6, but really x5 since we didn't count that one before).
LYMI,
V

Pot Roast Ingredients:
The pot roast tastes best when it has marinated overnight.
Nice cut of beef (it would usually say beef for roast)
A bag of carrots
Olive oil
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
Salt, Black Pepper, garlic, paprika, onion powder, meat tenderizer, Worschester sauce,
West Indian Green Seasoning

Cheesy Mashed potatoe ingredients
8-10 Idaho potatoes (peeled)
1 cup of milk
2 tbls of butter
Lawry's seasoned salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
1 cup of freshly shredded cheddar cheese

Recipe:
Soak roast in water and vinegar for at least 30 minutes. Then, season and put in fridge overnight.
When you are ready to cook, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a deep pot.
Add garlic, onions, peppers and carrots (chopped) sautee until onion is transparent. Add roast. (make sure you scrape all the yummy seasoning into the pot too.) Add a little water and cover. Cook under low heat for 25 minutes. Use two forks to turn roast over, cover and cook for another 25 minutes. Add more water if necessary, but not too much. You don't want the veggies burning or swimming.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place roast on a roaster rack. Save sauce in the pot under a very low heat.
Roast roast (ha ha, sounds funny) for 45 minutes uncovered.
Remove from oven and place back in pot with sauce and cover under low/med heat.
Simmer for 10 minutes, basting the roast with sauce often.
Once finished, take roast out and let it sit covered with foil for at least 15 minutes before carving.

Mashed Potatoes:
Boil potatoes soft
Drain, add milk, butter, and seasonings. Mash until smooth
Place potatoes in a small pyrex pan and cover with cheese. Bake in oven for 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Plate, add slices of roast, top off with sauce and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment